Be prepared during hurricane season, which runs until Nov. 30.
One of the most important steps is to create an emergency preparedness kit. This should include basic supplies and other necessities to survive for at least three days during an emergency. You may want to assemble at least two kits – one full kit at home and a smaller, portable kit for a workplace or vehicle where you often spend a lot of time.
The home kit ideally should be a large, sealable container that can be stored inside at room temperature. More than one container may be needed depending on the number of people in your home.
Here’s what you should include:
- Clean water - one gallon per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation.
- Food. Have at least a three-day supply for each person in the home. Select non-perishable foods in cans or dry-mix packages that do not require refrigeration, cooking, water or special preparation. Include a can opener and eating utensils.Make sure to choose foods that your family will eat and any dietary needs. Suggested items may include ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits, vegetables or meals, protein or fruit bars, dry cereal or granola, peanut butter, dried fruit, canned juices and food for infants (if needed).
- First aid kit and a temporary supply of personal medications.
- Flashlight and plenty of batteries.
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert.
- Personal hygiene items, moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation.
- Tools like a wrench or pliers.
- Pet food (if needed).
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person.
- Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper. When diluted nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners.
- Fire extinguisher.
- Matches in a waterproof container.
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities, pencils and paper.